The University of Southern California (USC) (www.usc.edu) is a coeducational public research university located in Los Angeles, California. The school’s Athletic Department, under the team name The Trojans, has won 120 national championships and fields 9 men’s and 12 women’s intercollegiate teams.
USC is host to one of the nation’s most successful athletic programs. The Athletic Department produces television and online video content, in the forms of live games and athletics-related programming.
USC chose LiveU technology after building the new sand volleyball stadium. The production team was faced with the ongoing challenge of capturing all of the University’s sporting events, in many cases from venues that lack uplink connectivity, such as new stadiums, track and field events, gyms and more. Also, during away games, obtaining uplink at other schools and remote venues could be challenging.
USC began using LiveU’s LU70 backpack combined with the LiveU Xtender remote antenna after building their new stadium and needing a cost-effective uplink solution to stream the first tournament from the venue before it was hardwired. USC also used LiveU Central to streamline the posting of video highlights.
USC used LiveU to power the school’s Tunnel Vision live programming from Memorial Coliseum, coverage from road games, and stream fulllength, live games online. Coverage by the school’s football show, Tunnel Vision, includes live feeds of players running onto the field for warm ups via the tunnel, Trojans Walk-by with fans down the 50 yard line seats, team prayer, cheerleader drills, Trojans mascot riding on to the field on horseback, and interviews with coaches and the Athletic Director by talent Katie Boggs in the 60 minute countdown to the game, and after the game. The show also mixes in b-roll taken earlier in the day such as players getting off the team bus, and more. USC also provides online coverage from road games and streaming of full-length, live games online.
- Since the beginning of the 2013 Football Season USC has used LiveU for all pre and post-game online broadcasts.
- USC is now able to live stream events that were never covered live before on SCTV, USC’s online streaming page.
- The Athletic Department is now able to send post-game pressers directly to PAC 12 for use on-air.
- USC also sends footage to their own production facility in real time, so that they can easily post all of the game highlights and related content immediately after each game.
- LiveU technology allows USC fans to become ‘a fly on the wall’ and get a unique point of view they couldn’t see before. Each live hit generates thousands of views in real time USC then posts clips on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, which in turn bring in even more views.
"LiveU came to the rescue and was easily able to transmit high quality video, even when the stadium was crowded, thanks to LiveU’s unique antennas. In fact, we now prefer to use LiveU, even when a hardwired connection is available in venues such as baseball, soccer, lacrosse and others thanks to its simplicity, portability and ease-of-use."
With LiveU, we can offer new unique types of very appealing content for fans, and a lot more of it.“